- Violence: Comparing Reporting and Reality
By Sara Tiegreen and Elana Newman, Dart Center, February 2009.
- Local Tragedy, National Spotlight
Joe Hight reports on media lessons from the Amish school shooting, December 2006.
- Communicating Bad News – A Guidance Pack
Advice for journalists informing next-of-kin of a colleague’s death, 2004.
From the Poynter Institute:
- Coverage of the Saddam Hussein Execution and its Aftermath
Poynter faculty offers advice on coverage & presentation decisions, 31 December 2006.
- Katrina: The Power of the Press Against the Wrath of Nature
By James O’Byrne of the Times-Picayune, 1 September 2006.
- Year of storms: Lessons learned and stories yet to be told
Details of a conference sponsored by Poynter and the Dart Center, 21 December 2005.
- Handling emotional interviews
Chip Scanlan discusses two case studies, 1 March 2005.
- Help with emotional interviews
Chip Scanlan talks to Joe Hight, Dart Center Executive Committee, 23 February 2005.
- Trauma takes toll on journalists covering disasters
By Aly Colon, Reporting, Writing & Editing Group Leader, 11 January 2005.
- Covering trauma & tragedy: what it takes
Kelly McBride talks to Dr Frank Ochberg founder of the Dart Center, 7 January 2005.
- Help for journalists under stress
By Al Tompkins, Broadcast/Online Group Leader, 14 September 2001.
- Journalists suffering trauma: Advice from a professional
Bob Steele talks to clinical psychologist Dr. Martin Cohen, 11 September 2001.
Other articles and resources:
- Indian TV journalist reports flood from victim’s shoulders
Article by Channel 4 News, 26 June 2013.
- Interviewing victims of torture: A handbook and guide for journalists
By Miron Varouhakis, Michigan State University Victims and the Media Program, 2008.
- Radio talk shows don’t have to exacerbate conflict
By Francis Rolt of Search for Common Ground, published in Drum Beat 333, February 2006.
- Journalists and Media Staff Killed
Annual reports, compiled by the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ).
- Why do we believe these anti-human horror stories?
By Mick Hume, published by spiked, 28 October 2005.
- ‘Disaster tourists’ should stay at home
By Josie Appleton, published by spiked, 15 October 2005.
- Blanket coverage from Therapy News
By Tessa Mayes, published by spiked, 27 July 2005.
- Shaking Our Foundations: Media and the Asian Tsunami
Report on efforts to rebuild media after the tsunami, published by IFJ, February 2005.
- How the police fed the media beast
Steven Morris on media coverage of Soham murder case, The Guardian, 22 December 2003.