- Interviewing people with disabilities
Guidelines for journalists, from MediaWise
- Writing about disabled people
Guidelines for journalists from GLAD (Greater London Action on Disability)
Articles and reports:
- Road Map for Inclusion: Changing the Face of Disability in Media
Report by the Ford Foundation, 2019.
- The media have a major role to play in breaking down the stigma surrounding disability
News release from the European Economic and Social Committee, July 2019.
- 4 key tips for reporting on and writing about people with disabilities
By Chloe Reichel for Journalism Resource, 26 June 2019.
- Reporting on disability: Guidelines for the media
Produced by the International Labour Association, May 2015.
- ‘Beat the cheat’: portrayals of disability benefit claimants in print media
Article by Libby McEnhill & Victoria Byrne, published in the Journal of Poverty and Social Justice, June 2014.
- Mock the Weak – The representation of disabled people in the media
Produced by Independent Living in Scotland project (ILiS), with input from MediaWise. May 2014.
- Reporting disability in the age of austerity: the changing face of media representation of disability and disabled people in the United Kingdom and the creation of new ‘folk devils’
Article by Emma Briant, Nick Watson & Gregory Philo in Disability & Society, September 2013.
- Disability Handbook
Second edition of the handbook from the National Union of Journalists, 2012.
- Bad News for Disabled People: How the newspapers are reporting disability
By Strathclyde Centre for Disability Research and Glasgow Media Unit, in association with Inclusion London, October 2011.
- Media Portrayals of Persons with Disabilities
Articles from the Media Awareness Network
- NUJ survey shows failure to employ disabled journalists
Survey of National Union of Journalists’ conducted by the Disabled Members’ Council (DMC), released 1 August 2007
- Disability Handbook
Handbook from the National Union of Journalists, February 2007
- Report on media literacy of disabled people
Media Literacy Audit by Ofcom, published on 4 April 2006
- From ‘special’ to substantial
By Susan LoTempio of The Buffalo News (New York), published by Poynter, 14 March 2006
- The representation and portrayal of people with disabilities on analogue terrestrial television
Content analysis research report published by Ofcom, 13 December 2005
- Disabling Prejudice: Attitudes towards disability and its portrayal on television
Report by Jane Sancho on research by the BBC, BSC and ITC, June 2003