This conference will take place at the Michael Tippett Centre, Bath on Friday 20 April 2012. It has been organised by David Niven Associates and Bath Spa University – with input from MediaWise.
It is a great opportunity for all those working with children and young people. Their image and how they are portrayed has direct impact on helping them and protecting them. Too often their portrayal is full of negativity. This needs to be scrutinised and their achievements celebrated much more widely.
The conference will explore various aspects surrounding children’s representation and rights as well as the media’s responsibilities and regulations. The speakers and presenters we have assembled represent a depth of experience and range of disciplines that truly should make this a memorable day.
- Elisabeth Ribbans, Managing Editor of the Guardian
- Jim Gamble QPM, CEO of INEQE Group, former Head of CEOP
- Simon Milner, UK Head of Policy at Facebook
- Naomi Gummer, UK Public Policy Analyst at Google
- Charlotte Dewar, Head of Complaints at the Press Complaints Commission
- Sue Steel, Co-ordinator, Anti-Bullying Alliance
- Dr Fleur Fisher, Chair, Teenage Magazine Arbitration Panel
- David Akinsanya, Film maker and Presenter
- Susana Giner, Director of Youth Media Agency supported by Young Journalists
- Mike Jempson, Director of MediaWise and Lecturer in Journalism, University of the West of England
- Colin Kay, Education Consultant and former Head Teacher, Clarendon College, Trowbridge